Friday, April 20, 2012

Advice for a Teenager (Paper)

When asked “what advice would you give to a teenager,” Kay, Keith, and Brian all answered with good advice. Each one of the participants is at a different stage of adulthood, which gives a range of answers. For teenagers getting ready to enter adulthood, hearing such words of wisdom may help them with their future as adults, something that will be starting soon at age 20.
Young adulthood is considered to be from age 20 to age 41. Keith is an admissions counselor for a college out in Kentucky. When given the question, he replied in the form of email writing, “Enjoy the little things in life…nature, laughing, friends, etc. They do wonders for the soul.” He also commented on keeping hope in the life that is to come, along with how to overcome hard times. “On bad days, realize that it’s only temporary and that tomorrow is a brand new day. Here’s something that I always ask myself when faced with a problem ‘Will this matter a year from now?’ Usually the answer is no. Also, do things that bring you a sense of happiness. What makes you happy? Concentrate on THAT during difficult times. It really helps. Also, keep everything in perspective and realize that there’s always something to be thankful for.” He finished his email with six simple rules, “laugh, love, dance, make mistakes, dream [but most of all] LIVE.” He still has a few years before he reaches middle adulthood, a stage of life that Brian is new to.
When I told him the question, Brian is a landlord who, at age 42, has much to say on this topic. But when trying to decide what he saw most valuable, all he came up with is what to do when traveling. “The best thing I can tell you [is to] be constantly aware of your surroundings. You never know what those around you are thinking.” Upon having much experience working with people, Brian knows how to keep himself safe. This is a good thing to learn because still has a lot of life to go before he reaches older adulthood.
Grammy Kay, a family friend, is 71 and has been retired for many years. A churchgoer every Sunday, she believes that to “be active in your... church.” “Be helpful,” she continued, “help anyone, like [the] elderly or little kids, just anybody.” Grammy Kay also included a reminder about school as well. “Be active in your school,” and, “do the best you can.” Her last thought was “be kind to people,” and adding with a laugh, “and pets too!” As a teenager myself, I definitely agree with everything that was said. I know that I will be able to look back on this experience and use it within my own life. I love how Grammy Kay went back to the basics, while Keith took on an almost philosophical tone. Brian at first took it light-heartedly, but then when he got serious he gave me the advice that will forever echo in the back of my head when I travel. As I continue through life, I think I’ll continually ask myself, “what advice would I give to a teenager?”

1 comment:

Any note you wish to leave behind, I wish to read.