Thursday, April 05, 2012

The Laramie Project

I've been meaning to write about the play I saw last Saturday night for awhile now... but I haven't been able to find the words to describe what I want to say. On March 31, at Misericordia University, I got to see the Misericordia Players present The Laramie Project. To give you a good picture of what the play is about, I took this from laramieproject.org, the main website for the project:
"On October 6th of 1998 Matthew Shepard was beaten and left to die tied to a fence in the outskirts of Laramie, Wyoming. He died 6 days later. His torture and murder became a watershed historical moment in America that highlighted many of the fault lines in our culture.
A month after the murder, the members of Tectonic Theater Project traveled to Laramie and conducted interviews with the people of the town. From these interviews they wrote the play The Laramie Project, which they later made into a film for HBO. The piece has been seen by more than 30 million people around the country."
Not knowing what it was truly about, I had gone just to support a friend of mine who helps with the plays at my high school. From the moment it started, I was absolutely captivated. The whole story was extremely well presented and skillfully handled by each member of the cast. If you are not familiar with how the play is laid out, it's like this:

Each interview that the members of the Tectonic Theater Project conducted was taken and developed into a play. The cast is made up of about 8 or 10 people and each person take on multiple personas, often only having a minute to change into or out of an object of clothing and accent. But for some, it had to happen on stage. With the putting on of a badge on a necklace, my friend went from a member of the interview team to the sheriff with a heavy accent. Needless to say, it was extreamly impressive.

The whole story has a big shock value, and although I didn't ball my eyes out, my head was left in a place of "what-just-happened?!?" It was is such a sad story to hear about. I know that with me seeing it, my life will never be the same. I wish I had better words to say, but let the play speak for itself. If you ever have the chance to go see it, please do.

1 comment:

  1. I actually remember when this happened - it was on the news a lot at the time. Such a tragic story. I remember reading a book about it as well. One of the most senseless acts of violence that I've heard of.

    ReplyDelete

Any note you wish to leave behind, I wish to read.